Wednesday, October 26, 2011

How to Stop Diminishing Yourself NOW!




We all suffer from limiting self-talk from time to time.

The difference between people who are successful, and those who are not, is that successful people acknowledge their 'inner gremlins' almost immediately and shout them down before they've had the chance to flex their muscles and gain any momentum.

This month's self-sabotaging self-talk is:

"I'm just / I'm only / I guess..."

Here are some examples:

"I just work on the sales team."

"I'm only the assistant so I don't know."

"I'm really new so ..."

"I kind of manage the project."

"I guess you could say I'm the team head."


You might think that little 'everyday' phrases like this are harmless.

However in reality, when you use limiting language like this it has a profound impact on your inner belief as well as the perception that others will have of you.

People around you might think you sound unsure or, at worst, incompetent.

Diminishing yourself; your contribution; the value you add; and relinquishing any power or position of authority will result in your own downfall.

Here are some tips:

STOP! And listen out for the language you use...

Do you use assertive, direct language when talking about yourself, or do you use excuses and sound uncertain?

The more you train yourself to listen out for (and then correct) any negative or self-diminishing statements, the more readily you will boost your confidence and project the image you wish to the world around you.

- Rebecca

No comments:

Post a Comment