Saturday, May 8, 2010

3 Tips To Present with Confidence!


Pose your challenge to 'Ask Rebecca How...'!

"I absolutely hate presenting in front of large audiences. I go to jelly and my mind goes blank. It's horrible!" - Lucinda

Rebecca says:

Being a ‘good public speaker’ is a skill and skills can be learnt. Here are some tips to help:

1. Keep your presentation simple. The brain can only absorb small chunks of information and chunking your information into 3 main points will help to engage your audience for longer. Ask yourself what your 3 main points are and repeat them throughout.

2. Be aware of your thoughts before you get up there. If you are saying things like, “This is going to be a disaster. I’ll go red, trip up the step and no-one will listen to me.” then I guarantee that is exactly what will happen. Decide on 1 powerful thought that will help you to present more confidently. Here are some suggestions:


  • “I don’t pretend to know everything about this subject but I have some fresh ideas to share with my audience.”

  • “I am an interesting and engaging speaker.”

  • “My presentation meets the needs of my audience and I am fully prepared.”

Remember – your beliefs will be reflected in your behaviour. So makes sure your mind is filled only with positive thoughts and you’re much more likely to present successfully.

3. Do some pre-speech visualisation. Just like a 100m sprinter imagines what he is about to do during every second of his race through to crossing the line, so should you. Picture in detail how you will stand, what you will say, how you will say it and how your audience will respond. The more you visualise success the more likely you are to achieve it.

-RW

© Rebecca Wells, Ask Rebecca How 2010. If you would like to replicate any of our content please just ask us.

No comments:

Post a Comment