Monday, September 6, 2010

3 Tips To 'Give Back' Without Running Yourself Into The Ground





"I love giving my time to help other people: my friends, my kids, my community, my husband. But I find it leaves little time for me." - Renee

I'm sure we'd all agree: it is wonderful to want to give to others. In my role as a coach, I find it phenomenally rewarding to see clients blossom and take action to make positive change to their lives and partly due to my inputs. However in any role where you give your time to others, it is also vital to know your own boundaries to protect yourself and to ensure your good intentions are not taken advantage of. Here are some tips that might help:

1. Know what is and is NOT accceptable to you. This goes for everything: the behaviours and attitudes of others; how you use your time; which of your values are non-negotiables. Then set yourself some rules, or guidelines, to reflect this.

2. Set clear expectations by communicating your rules to those around you. It's always best to do this from the outset in any relationship but it is possible to do so in an established relationship too.

3. You don't need to say 'yes' to everything! If you would prefer to say 'no', do it! It can be extremely liberating! - RW

No comments:

Post a Comment