Tuesday, June 29, 2010
Ask Rebecca How... To Raise Your Profile At Work
Ask Rebecca How... we welcome your challenges and offer ideas to help you meet them. Jayne has posed the following concern:
"I'd like to increase my profile at work and would love some tips to help me."
1. Firstly, know your own personal 'brand' and what you stand for. Set aside at least 30 minutes and make a list of the following: your core strengths (include personality traits, skills, things you do well naturally); where you add specific value to your company; key personal and professional accomplishments.
2. Next know your market: who are your key stakeholders? Your immediate manager; a more senior individual; peers who could become strong advocates of your personal brand?
3. Build a powerful network: it really is who you know! Consider who you need to get to know and who you need to build stronger relationships with. The key is to do a little and often: establishing trust takes time!
4. Consider upcoming events where you can shine! Career fulfilment stems largely from purposeful and pro-active career planning and being in the right place at the right time. Which projects will give you the experience and exposure you need?
5. Set yourself specific goals, or milestones, to give your Personal Profile plans focus and make sure you acknowledge every success you have along the way! - RW